Thelma Krug: "We know from the reports that we are not on track to meet

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

积分

新手上路

积分
发表于 2023-12-14 00:44:52 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Researcher Thelma Krug (72 years old) was born in Sao Paulo (Brazil), where she still resides. Much of her professional life has been linked to the IPCC , and now her future forks in two directions: either she becomes the first woman to preside over the institution or, after two decades on the front line, she will step aside and collaborate from positions with less responsibility, "as editor, reviewer or similar .  " For almost 40 years, Krug was the principal researcher at the National Institute for Space Research ( INPE ), an organization dependent on the Government of Brazil that is responsible, among other issues, for monitoring deforestation in the Amazon. In addition, she has held different positions within the Executive. For 15 years she was the representative of her country in negotiations during the climate summits (COP).

Thelma Krug, PhD in Spatial Statistics, has been vice-chair of the IPCC during the Sixth Assessment Cycle (2015-2023) and co-chair of the IPCC Working Group on National Greenhouse Gas Inventories from 2002 to 2015. Since 2020, she has been chair of the World Meteorological Organization's Terrestrial Climate Observation Panel . Throughout her career she has received various decorations from institutions and governments Special Data thanks to her research, her dissemination work and her negotiating skills. Climate change and the protection of forests are her favorite topics. Thanks to her knowledge of them, she hopes to lead the IPCC during a vital decade for climate action. Why have you decided to run in these elections? There were several factors that motivated me to accept the invitation of the Brazilian Government to be nominated as a candidate for the presidency of the IPCC.

Obviously, my contribution to the IPCC over the last 21 years, starting in 2002 as co-chair of the Task Force on National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, re-elected in 2019 to the same position and then elected as vice-chair in 2015, is a clear indication of my commitment to the organization. In my opinion, the position of president requires a solid scientific background, professional recognition, good knowledge of the organization, good communication skills, leadership and determination. I am convinced that I meet all the conditions to successfully run for the presidency of the IPCC. Furthermore, having a woman from a developing country with these qualifications chair the IPCC, in addition to breaking the traditional male dominance experienced in the last 6 cycles (34 years), is a demonstration of equal opportunities regardless of gender.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册 新浪微博登陆

本版积分规则

手机版|海外山东大学校友资讯网 SDUAA.org

GMT-8, 2024-9-18 17:46 , Processed in 0.033063 second(s), 28 queries .